April 30, 2012

Bedroom Shutters

This image I found online inspired me to make myself half shutters.

This post is long over due. One of the things stopping me from sharing is I have yet to paint the finished product.
I will get there, but this is a lesson in procrastination…. When you MOSTLY finish a project, and the one thing stopping it from being complete doesn’t stop you from USING the project, you sometimes quit.

I quit cause I put it in place, telling myself I would get them painted shortly. I didn’t. I won’t say how many months it’s been, but I am ashamed…. *chin drops*

Another thing that stopped me… I was so keen to finish them, I did a cruddy job at taking photos of the process. (sorry… the good thing on that is, this is a short post.)

It was when put wainscoting
on the walls of my bedroom (posthere) that I made shutters that would open and fold up under the shelf on the top of the wainscoting. (This image is missing the shelf)

So… How much do you think I spent on shutters?  I got a couple quotes, the cheapest one was $350.
Then I went to the Park City Recycle Center, and found these guys:



Here’s what I paid for them:

Each set came in a window casing, I didn’t need those, so I took 5 shutters out, saved the hinges, and cut them to length. (Yes it was lucky for me that 5 shutters fit the width of my window)

Here is a diagram for reference to what I did. Courtesy of ShutterMedic.com

(my cat Chip has decided sitting on my lap isn’t good enough, he has to help me type… pushing on my spacebar --lol.)

I cut through the stile at the height of the rail. (shown here)  Notice I also cut the tilt rod to length.

Then I cut the style pieces off the rail, leaving me with a piece of rail I could slot back in between styles on my newly shortened shutter. I drilled through the styles, into the rail, using glue and screws to reattach. Then I filled the screw holes. (sorry no pic)

Attached shutters together with small hinges, and used the original shutter hinges to attach the ends to the window frame.

I had to glue a thin section of wood to the window sill so that I could attach shutter stays, forcing the shutters to remain closed at the precise point they could be flush with the window sill. Floating shutters without stays would not look nice, nor remain shut.
3 shutters open to the right, 2 open to the left. As I mentioned, folding onto themselves when open, and living beneath the shallow shelf above the wainscoting.

The moral of this post… since there are so few photos… Get what you want; just make it happen. Recycling is fun and allows you to customize!  (and if you make mistakes, you have usually only spent a few dollars ;)

Pin It!

No comments: