September 26, 2010

A Couple of Paintings: No cost.

With a fairly new color on the walls you’d think I’d be quicker at hanging some decoration up. Well I’ve been super slow, but here are two things: coordinating canvases, and a mirror.

I bought two already painted canvases from a yard sale for next to nothing, I painted over the paintings already on them; one black and one white. Then found a pattern I would like to replicate.This is a poor example of the circle pattern, but this is what I had.

I put my paint colors onto paper plates, and got out plastic cups.
I used dry cups without paint first so that I could see where my circles would start and end on the edges of the canvas, and then I set to coming up with a pattern of color.
 I used the bottom of a 1 cup measure for my imperfect white circles. These were applied after the first layer of circles, but before the second layer of circles. Only onto the black canvas.
 Here is the white one. This has a slightly different order of color. In this one no color intersects itself. You can see my paint on cup edges are imperfect, but this is the look I was after since I started with imperfect colors on the canvas to begin with. If you look closely at the black canvas, I made sure small areas of white still peeked through.
 I also painted a red frame white that my friend (thestampinmom) gave me.
 Then I used pink watered down paint as a wash. Wiping off the paint on the raised edges before it dried. Same as I would for antiquing something with walnut stain.

 I like how they turned out!


I've been posting too many paint projects... I need to try and post more of my projects that don't involve paint.
Projects w/o paint aren't hard, getting me to sit down and post... that's hard.  :D
Pin It!

September 7, 2010

Taffeta Shelf Brackets

I would love to say this idea was entirely mine, but I'm afraid it's not. Here it sits on my inspiration board, cut out from a (shhhhh) Martha Stewart Living magazine.  Don't know why nicking an idea from an MS mag should embarrass me, but it kinda does.  I just thought it was super clever, and I'm all about clever projects.
Here is a shot slightly closer up...
The text says they used 1" grosgrain ribbon, and the shelves are only 6" deep. Good thing I never noticed that until just now. They also say to staple the ribbon to the shelf on the bottom. (I didn't do that either.)
Taffeta is an awesome fabric for ripping, which is IN PART why I chose it. The other parts being it's BROWN (eyelids batting), and I ALREADY had it in my fabric bin. I LOVE not having to go to the store to do a project. On this particular day I was cleaning, working through a nice size 'to do' list when I suddenly had a big ol' brain wave of how I could recreate this MS idea, and I had to do it.

Back to my Taffeta and ripping... I wanted four strips the same width. I used the length from selvage to selvage. I did not measure them, but they are approx 4.5" wide.
Then I ironed them flat, and then into fourths.. It was easiest to first iron them in half, and then fold in each side and iron it. On the left is the finished folded strip with raw edges in the middle of the folded taffeta.
All 4...
Then I stitched on both sides of each strip. I didn't realize I had green thread in my bobbin, I thought it was white... never-mind, white and green are great!
Then I decided the length I would want for my strips of taffeta, cut them, and I brought both ends together punching holes with a Crop-A-Dile. No you don't have to have this tool, but it makes punching fabric easy.
Here you see two holes through both ends.
Then I placed an eyelet into the lower hole.
Folded the fabric over, pushing the other hole onto the eyelet. (This is in fact a scrapbooking eyelet. It is barely long enough for all these layers of taffeta. <--- worth knowing.) 
Also, important point: I had to mark the holes with this folded edge in mind. The piece of fabric on the outside needs a greater distance between the holes than the one being covered. If this sounds confusing, just be sure to do a practice run before you punch all your holes.
Set the eyelet. (This tool does that too)
Then I found all of my studs and marked them with painters tape.
My stud finder beeps a bit early, no stud is 3" wide in my house, so I mark where the stud finder beeps, tape it, find the other edge, and then use the center between the two pieces of tape.
I then screwed my taffeta strip into the stud through the eyelet.  I used screws 1.5-2" long so that it was a good distance into the stud.
Then I hung more. (since I already had a paint line in this room that was level, I took advantage of it and hung them all along it.)
Not having any long boards handy... I used a couple shutters I had in the garage, left over from a project last year.  I thought the re purposed cuteness of the shutter meant that I didn't have to worry about the holes from the hinges that were once attached to it.
I just slid them into the straps and set them level.
Is it just me, or is this adorable?
My shutters do have one side with a bar, for the shutters to be functional, I figured that I would look at the shutter in my strap both ways to see which looked better... and since I wasn't going to place books or anything  that needed to sit straight, I went with the bar on top of the shelf.
Then I put my bear and bunny collection up onto them! It's not a big collection, but old enough I have to have a home for them somewhere! I think they look great on this wall in the spare room.
Oh, just in case you would like to know, the shutters are 14.5" wide, and the length of my straps are 51" (before the eyelet).

Hope you enjoyed this half as much as me. Quick & Cute projects always make me happy.
Pin It!